- First department established in Murray Woman’s Club with a focus on promoting literary pursuits
- Published Calloway County Pictorial History and Calloway County Family History books
- Book proceeds funded Lois Pharris Scholarship awarded annually to a non-traditional female student
- Participate in Santa Project sponsorship and contribute to GED Graduation Ceremony & high schools’ Project Graduation
- Annually judge club-sponsored K-12 Student Short Story & Poetry Contest entries
- Focus on personal development of members in various art forms through understanding & creative participation
- Main fundraising project to fund their scholarship is a fall Bazaar; members create handmade items to sell along with baked goods.
- Sponsor high school student’s attendance at a summer art workshop
- Organize a student art contest, judge entries, and present awards
- 4th department, established in 1927, following Alpha, Music, and Home departments
- Focus is living well, embodied in their motto: Eat chocolate, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.
- Very involved in cancer research/treatment fundraising drives from the 1950s into the 1980s
- Established their scholarship in 1992 with annual scholarship awarded for female Murray State University nursing student
- Provide members opportunities to expand knowledge of plants & all forms of gardening through speakers & field trips
- Plant, weed, and water the two flower beds at the Central Park entrance
- Provide annual scholarship for an outstanding Murray State University horticulture student
- Choose a Yard of the Month, usually March through October; place a sign in the yard; provide a photo for the newspaper
- Host annual Iris Color Show, Plant Sale, & Luncheon at the clubhouse in May, the main scholarship fundraiser, begun 2014
- General interests in areas affecting family and home life
- Programs providing information on health, education, conservation, ecology, etc.
- Donations focus on areas that help provide family stability in our community
- Established in 1964 with commitment to community improvement projects
- Organize Tour of Homes fundraiser during Christmas holiday season, a very popular event in the community
- Sponsor the Evening of Chocolate Delight fundraiser, highlighting local businesses, to benefit the CASA program
- Successful fundraisers have allowed Kappa to donate thousands over the years to charitable causes important to the community
- Second department established and meant to promote music education, enjoyment, and support in the community
- Programs draw on the many talented individuals and groups in our community, including Murray State faculty and students
- Multiple scholarships awarded annually to Murray State sophomore music majors
- Conduct a music contest each spring with monetary awards for middle and high school students in Calloway County
- Produce themed musical show and dinner each spring at the clubhouse to fund scholarships and contests awards
- Focus on families and children
- Efforts to promote education, recreation, advocacy, creativity, and healthy lifestyles
- Emphasis on mentoring young professional women as members of Murray Woman’s Club
- Primary fundraiser is Breakfast with Santa for family fun, held at the clubhouse
- Supported, over the years, organizations benefiting families & children such as Family Resource Centers & West Kentucky Mentoring
- Department organized in 1965 with emphasis on supporting youth of Murray and Calloway County
- Participate in Reality Store each year involving all school students in the county
- Annual auction fundraiser to support their youth-oriented projects
- Provide monetary awards for 1st place winners in the annual Short Story & Poetry Contest for students K-12
- Award annual scholarships for 4-H Summer Camp attendance
- Originally formed with varied interests
- Active in civic, educational, and cultural pursuits
- Department history includes sponsoring the Mental Health Program & annual contributions continue
- Motto: Volunteer Where Needed
Department Meeting Days & Times
View Events for specific meeting days and times of departments.
New members are welcome to join at any time during the year, so feel free to visit any department meeting.
Contact us or speak to a club member you know if you have questions or need information about becoming a member.